Utah Stories blog

Utah mom, Kassidi Kurill, age 39, died suddenly four days after second dose of Moderna vaccine

A 39-year-old single mom in Utah with no underlying medical conditions died four days after receiving her second dose of the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine, according to a report.

Kassidi Kurill, a mother of one from Ogden, received the vaccine due to her work as a surgical tech for several plastic surgeons, KUTV reported.

“She was absolutely fine with getting it. In fact, she told all of us, ‘It’s fine, you guys should all get it,’” her father, Alfred Hawley, told the outlet.

Kurill experienced a sore arm after the first jab of Moderna, but had no other side effects.

But things took a tragic turn after she received her second dose on Feb. 1.

“She came in early and said her heart was racing and she felt like she needed to get to the emergency room,” Hawley said.

When they arrived at the ER, Kurill was throwing up. Hawley, a retired fighter pilot, told doctors his daughter had just received her second shot.

“They did a blood test and immediately came back and said she was very, very sick, and her liver was not functioning,” he told KUTV.

Kurill’s older sister Kristin, who lives in Arizona, said she knew her sister had gone to the hospital, but the speed at which she deteriorated was “so unexpected.”

She thought her sister would get an IV and be back home in an hour, but Hawley knew they were not going home anytime soon.

“It was a total shock, and I was even afraid to tell my wife,” he told the news outlet.

Kurill was soon flown to Intermountain Medical Center in Murray, a trauma center, as her liver was failing and a transplant was believed to be her best chance at survival.

Kristin jumped on the first flight to Utah but was not allowed into the hospital because of coronavirus protocols, so she waited with her sister’s daughter Emilia, 9, as the family hoped for a miracle.

Kurill’s parents volunteered to donate a portion of their livers but never got the chance to offer the lifesaving gift when their daughter’s liver, kidneys and heart shut down.

She died 30 hours after arriving at the hospital.

Read the rest of the story >>